Thursday, April 7, 2011

It's My Fault

Here I am, a bit closer to home, at the San Andreas Fault in California.  I came to San Fransisco to find this North American Fault.  It is a transform boundary of two plates--the North America Plate and the Pacific Plate. They move sideways against each other, shifting and creating many earthquakes.  The fault changes all the time, creating extreme earthquakes.  There are no volcanoes or mountains, just a fault that generates earthquakes, the most notable in 1857, 1906, 1989, and 2004.  It produces magnitude 6.0 earthquakes about every 22 years. So, this place is really dangerous.  The view in my tour is at 37°31'43.00"N, 122°21'44.00"W.
The San Andreas Fault
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/Kluft-photo-Carrizo-Plain-Nov-2007-Img_0327.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I never knew that there were no mountains or volcanoes. That's really interesting~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Momo...also your blog is really informative.

    ReplyDelete