Thursday, April 7, 2011

Red

Let me first say, the water is warm.  The scuba diving today was amazing, and as I climbed out of the Red Sea and went back to Sharm el-Sheik, Egypt, I realized I had just dived above a divergent boundary!  Another tectonic boundary to check of my list.  Here on the Sinai Peninsula in Asia, I can see the sea and the boundary under it: the Red Sea Rift.  The Red Sea was formed when the Arabian Plate and the African Plate moved apart over millions of years.  When they moved apart, new land came in and water flowed above it to create the Red Sea.  For now, it is only a sea, but it is predicted that, since the boundary still widens very slowly, it may become an Ocean.  A number of volcanic islands rise from the center, but most are dormant.  In 2007, Jabal al-Tair Island erupted violently. Where I am staying, Sharm el-Sheik, is at 27°51'N, 34°16′E.
The Eruption of Jabal al-Tair Island in 2007
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/071001a-003.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment